Code testing is a software development process where the smallest parts of an application are individually and independently tested. Testing your code helps you find bugs in your software and ensures the same bugs don’t cause the application to break again.
Additionally, tests will help you avoid delivering sub-standard code and ensure that any modifications you make don’t break the existing code. Also, when refactoring code, testing ensures that your changes are violating no corner cases. Additionally, it keeps your code clean, which is incredibly important, especially for vast open-source projects.
Code testing also helps increase code stability. For example, testing each commit before deploying would ensure that the release version is always a stable build and no users are being impacted by buggy developmental code.
Testing your code will result in making you see more bugs. As a result, the more bugs you see, the more you’ll stop writing them. Therefore, you’ll become a powerful developer. Testing is the teacher you’ll hold onto for your entire career because you learn so much from it.
However, testing your code will not save you from writing bugs in the future fully. Instead, it minimizes them and helps you avoid them. Therefore, in order to help you select the best code testing tool for your task, we have created a list of the top 6 code testing tools you should check out in 2022.
Selenium is a popular open-source automation code testing framework. It was originally developed in 2004 by Jason Hugging, and it has remained a widely-known tool for testing applications.
Selenium supports multiple browsers and platforms (macOS, Windows, and Linux), and you can write tests in various programming languages. Selenium is not a single tool but a suite of different testing software components.
- Parallel test execution support
- Different OS support
LambdaTest is a cloud-based code testing tool for both desktop and mobile applications. It allows manual and automated code testings for more than 2000 operating systems, devices, and browsers. You can record real-time browser compatibility testing and automated screen recording and screenshot testing on several combinations at a time.
LambdaTest can be integrated with several CI/CD tools, such as Jenkins, Circle CI, Travis CI, etc.
- Live cross-browser testing across different browsers, versions, resolutions
- Testing with the latest desktop browsers
- Responsive testing across devices with different screens and resolution
- Bult-in issue tracker that allows the users to manage the identified defects
- 24/7 support to the customers
Appium is an open-source code testing framework. Like LambdaTest, you can also write tests and integrate Appium with CI/CD tools. Some of the main advantages of Appium is that it enables code reuse and cross-platform testing. In addition, Appium Desktop provides a recording feature, allowing testers to record gestures as code.
- Simple to use
- Parallel execution
- Requires little memory for testing
- Offers standard automation APIs
- Support for multiple coding languages like Java, Python, C#, PHP, Node.js, etc.
Kobiton is a cloud-based platform that supports both manual and automated web and mobile code testing. Its AI-driven scriptless approach can automate performance, visual and UX, functional, and compatibility testing. In addition, it offers automated crash detection, which ensures comprehensive quality.
Kobiton also provides CI/CD integrations and supports Selenium WebDriver, Katalon Studio, and Appium.
- Parallel testing
- Manual and automation testing on real devices
- Record the actions performed on the mobile devices used for reference
- Integration support for CI pipeline with tools like GitHub, Jenkins, TeamCity
Watir Project is an open-source code testing tool for web applications. It uses a set of Ruby libraries for testing.
- Completely free to use
- Multiple browsers and platforms support
- Lightweight tool
- Human-like interaction with the browser for form filling, validating the text, and clicking links
WebLOAD is a powerful load testing tool with dominant scripting capabilities. From the vast set of features, it supports various technologies, including Selenium. WebLOAD allows you to generate load in the cloud and on-premise.
- Easy to create load test scenarios
- Supports more than 80 types of reports and graphs
- Easy identification of performance bottlenecks
- Amazon EC2 support to run performance testing from the cloud
There are numerous automation testing solutions available out there, but which is the best choice for you? Picking the right choice depends on the application you want to test and the technologies used. For example, if your focus is testing mobile applications, then you should probably go for Appium or Kobiton.
However, we’ve shown you a list of the top 6 code testing tools that can be used for testing any platform or application type. Hopefully, this article will make you understand how important it is to test your apps and what tools you can use for them.